Please correct the following run-ons, fragments, and comma errors in the sentences below. If a sentence is correct, write a C beside it. Each question is worth a total of two points for a total of 30 points in this section.
I enjoyed Ta-Nehesi Coates’ Between the World and Me. Despite the fact that I generally don’t read non-fiction.
Coates’ book is about identity; the impossible task of freeing one’s self from self and societally imposed labels to reach oneś true potential.
Working a full-time job can make completing your coursework difficult. Struggling to balance the demands of work and school.
There are many ways to improve your essay. For example, strengthening assertions, deepening analysis, and expanding support, to name a few.
Although Caroline tried to eat all of her sushi. She just managed to finish a bit of her unagi roll.
I enjoyed the graphic novel The Complete Persepolis, however, I tend to read more classics than contemporary works.
The next time you decide to watch TV, don’t watch the news, watch a sitcom.
The internet was down, therefore, I was unable to complete my midterm.
After Coates learns his friend and Howard University classmate, Prince Jones has been killed, he searches for answers through his journalistic writing and in the form of his book.
In the Middle Ages, the streets of London were dangerous places; it was safer to travel by boat along the Thames.
I like to do yoga in the mornings, and then jog in the afternoons with my best friend.
In 2014 women outnumbered men as students at most colleges.
During the church service many of the elders stepped outside to pray for the sick child.
Roger is learning how to windsurf but he seldom practices on the San Francisco Bay.
Kelly brought her sunscreen, her hat her towel and her umbrella to the lake.
Analyzing the Reading
Imagine this is a quote you are using in an essay. Interpret what you believe this particular quote means or reveals in 5-10 sentences. Choose 6 of the 7 quotes to respond to. Each answer is worth 10 points. I’m looking for clarity of thought, cohesion, in-depth analysis, and relatively few grammar or punctuation errors. Remember, don’t repeat what the quote is saying in different words, but rather what you believe is the significance of it.
1. From Marjane Satrapi’s The Complete Persepolis: After Marjane’s father comes home late from photographing political protests and his family fears he is dead, Marjane responds to her family’s story telling and laughter in the following way: “Something escaped me. Cadaver, Cancer, Death, Murderer. Laughter? Ha ha ha ha! I realized then that I didn’t understand anything. I read all the books I could” (32).
2. From Marjane Satrapi’s The Complete Persepolis: After Marjane hears girls gossiping about her in a cafe: “You are going to shut up or I am going to make you! I am Iranian and proud of it!”– They respond, “She is completely crazy.”–Marjane storms out of the cafe, “I wanted to die. Where were my parents to take me in their arms and reassure me? But really, I had nothing to cry about. I had just redeemed myself” (197).
3. From Marjane Satrapi’s The Complete Persepolis: When Marjane returns home to Iran, “It wasn’t just the veil to which I had to readjust, there were also all the images. The sixty-five-foot-high murals presenting martyrs, adorned with slogans honoring them, slogans like ‘The Martyr is the heart of history” or “I hope to be a martyr myself” or “A martyr lives forever…I felt as though I were walking through a cemetery…surrounded by the victims of a war I had fled. It was unbearable. I hurried home” (251).
4. From Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me: “The pursuit of knowing was freedom to me, the right to declare your own curiousities and follow them through all manner of books. I was made for the library, not the classroom. The classroom was a jail of other people’s interests. The library was open, unending, free” (48).
5. From Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me:”I have raised you to respect every human being as singular, and you must extend that same respect into the past. Slavery is not an indefinable mass of flesh. It is a particular, specific enslaved woman, whose mind is active as your own, whose range of feeling is as vast as your own; who prefers the way the light falls in one particular spot in the woods, who enjoys fishing where the water eddies in a nearby stream, who loves her mother in her own complicated way, thinks her sister talks too loud, has a favorite cousin, a favorite season…” (69).
6. From JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy: And if I leave you with the impression that there are bad people in my life, then I am sorry, both to you and to the people so portrayed. For there are no villains in this story. There’s just a a ragtag band of hillbillies struggling to find their way–both for their sake and , by the grace of God, for mine” (9).
7. From JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy:”Despite their virtues, or perhaps because of them, the Blanton men were full of vice…Still, I loved and worshiped them. I once overheard Mamaw tell her mother that I loved the Blanton men because so many father figures had come and gone, but the Blanton men were always there. There’s definitely a kernel of truth to that. But more than anything, the Blanton men were the living embodiment of the hills of Kentucky. I loved them because I loved Jackson” (17).
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more