Theory-based Nutrition Education Program
Part 1: Using your Unit 5 project as a base, prepare a 12-15 page paper using the outline below. You should also review the information on the NCHEC site using the instructions below to ensure you have included adequate details in your project.
- National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) http://www.nchec.org/
- Select Health Education Credentialing.
- Click on Responsibilities and Competencies.
- Read the Responsibilities and Competencies of Health Educators.
- Analyze Food and Health Behaviors, Assets, and Needs to State Program Behavioral Goals (Step 1)
- Identify high-priority health issues and primary intended audience
- Identify high-priority health behaviors contributing to the selected issues
- Statement of the program’s behavioral or action goals
- Identify Personal and Environmental Mediators of Change (Step 2)
- Description of the socio-cultural audience in which your audience lives
- List of current behaviors, practices, and environmental factors that are assets
- List of thoughts, feelings, and skills that potentially mediate audiences motivation to act
- List of potential actions for the program to take to provide environmental and policy supports
- Description of audience characteristics and list of resource considerations
- Integrating Theory, Research, and Practice (Step 3 and Step 4)
- Program theoretical model
- Statement of philosophy of nutrition education
- Statement of personal perspective on nutrition content and issues
- List of program components
- Nutrition education program objectives for all components
- Design Nutrition Education (Step 5)
- List general educational objectives for each session
- Describe the overall design plan for the session in the form of a matrix that links mediators, objectives, and activities
- Write the narrative educational plan that translates the matrix into a form ready for teaching and presenting
- Discuss how learning style research will be used for implementation of program
- Include the two pieces of nutrition education material designed for the program – one visually based and one text-based to be delivered using the Web
- Include the resource list that you developed
- Implement Nutrition Education
- Describe implementation plan for delivering the nutrition education program via the Internet and in a face to face setting
- Including implementation timeline
- Evaluate Nutrition Education (Step 6)
- Diagram of conceptual framework for program evaluation
- Indicators of and measures for evaluating individual level changes
- Description of and hotlink to three surveys created to evaluated the three levels of change (mediators, behaviors, health outcomes)
- Discussion of how the program and evaluation data could contribute to research in the field
- How will you communicate your research findings to key stakeholders and community members?
- Nutrition Educators as Change Agents
- Explain the major roles and responsibilities of nutrition education professionals in planning, implementing, evaluating, and managing your health education intervention.
2a. Create an 8-10 slide PowerPoint presentation summarizing the main points of your intervention. Include the following key pieces of information:
- Nutrition issue and audience identified and justification
- Theory used and justification
- Program objectives
- Outline of sequenced educational activities
- Summary of environmental support plan, delivery plan, and evaluation plan
- Key points of the two pieces of nutrition education multimedia created