In the story by Ursula LeGuin we’ve read, the narrator describes an imaginary city, Omelas, which is a Utopia. The existence of this Utopia rests on one condition – the child who is kept, alone and miserable, in the cellar. All residents of the city are aware of the child, and of the condition. The story does not present any option for “saving” the child or changing the condition; the only options are to accept the situation and live with it, or to walk away into an unknown future.
Here is the prompt for this essay:
What do you believe is the “right” decision – to stay and accept or to walk away? How does this ethical/moral issue apply to real life, and in real life, do you respond to this problem the same as you said you would respond in Omelas, or differently?
What the essay must include:
The essay has a 1200-word minimum length. Essays not meeting the word-length minimum will receive a completion credit between 25-45 points at my discretion.
It must include a Works Cited page, which includes any source you use in the essay. You may use any of the research sources I provide on Eagle Online.
The essay must contain at least two acceptable, relevant research sources, with at least two direct cited quotes from that source. The source material must help explain or support what you are saying. See below for more on this.
– It must be clear how the research material you use helps explain or support what you are saying in some way that is useful or necessary. That means you must tell us what it means and why it is important.
– Do not use research sources or quotes to state commonly known or inarguable facts.
– Do not use quotes that come from Wikiquote, Brainy Quotes, or any other “quotation-aggregator.”
– Dictionary definitions, encyclopedia entries, and Wikipedia entries do not count as research. (Wikipedia entries can be very useful for links and general information, but never use Wikipedia as a cited source.)
– “Note” sites such as Schmoop, SparkNotes, etc. cannot be used or cited as research. Free-essay sites such as 123helpme also cannot be used and should never be part of your essay in any way.
– Do not plagiarize. If you are using the words of a source, use quotation marks. If you are using just the ideas of a source, it still must be cited in the text.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more